Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Living my dash











Wow, it's been an incredible two months! The events of family and friends started over the fourth of July weekend when my brother, sister-in-law, mom, lee and my cousin came to visit. I truly enjoyed having the family visit and celebrated the fourth along side some friends who joined us.


The following weekend we celebrated the Buerk family visit, and Werthman's new home. It was so good to see everyone, it does not happen often enough. I even got to see some local SAHS alumni, which is always a wonderful thing. I truly love being with these people, and I know as we have gotten older life keeps us busy and those times get harder to schedule. It does not matter, because when we see one another it's as though time hasn't skipped a beat. I love each and every one of them and cherish those times we have the opportunity to spend together.


Then there was the SAHS Phoenix reunion - wow what an amazing time. Can't even explain how much fun I had. I didn't want it to end, I had fun the moment we got in the car to head to the airport and even up to the moment we got back on the airplane to return home, reminiscing about the entire weekend. This poem is amazing, it says so much and means everything.




So fitting after all these years reuniting with fellow schoolmates:

I am a Military Brat

My hometown is nowhere, my friends are everywhere.
I grew up with the knowledge that home is where the heart is
and the family....

Mobility is my way of life.
Some would wonder about roots,
yet they are as deep and strong as the mighty oak.
I sink them quickly, absorbing all an area offers
and hopefully, giving enrichment in return.

Travel has taught me to be open.
Shaking hands with the universe,
I find brotherhood in all men.

Farewells are never easy.
Yet, even in sorrow comes strength and ability to face tomorrow
with anticipation....if when we leave one place,I feel that half my world is left behind.
I also know that
the other half is waiting to be met.

Friendships are formed in hours and kept for decades.
I will never grow up with someone, but I will mature with many.
Be it inevitable that paths part, there is constant hope
that they will meet again.

Love of country, respect and pride
fill my being when Old Glory passes in review.
When I stand to honor that flag, so also do I stand in honor of all
soldiers, and most especially, to the parents whose life created mine
Because of this, I have shared in the rich heritage of Military life.
Anonymous




No comments:

Post a Comment