Friday, May 29, 2009

Too busy

I have been so busy that I haven't had an opportunity to keep up this blog. So let me catch up on some of the few moments of enjoyment. About 4 weeks ago I went and visited Madison, Georgia. I had read several articles about this small town which is located about an hour outside of Atlanta and finally checked it out.

I went Friday night and wanted to check out a popular restaurant that everyone said I HAD to go to. It was only a fifteen minute drive so off to Social Circle it was. The famous Blue Willow Inn. It was southern food, buffet style (not a huge fan of buffets) and I had the best peach cobbler I have ever had! Cute place a definite must do if you are in the area.





On Saturday the Madison Cultural Center hosted their annual tour of homes so that is what I did, I purchased my tickets for only $25.00! An entire day of entertainment for only $25.00?...nice. Madison is such a cute town and so beautiful with it's history. The homes have so much character and there were so many of them. I say this because so many of the beautiful homes in Georgia were destroyed during Sherman's March to the Sea. In 1864 a gentleman by the name of Joshua Hill (former US Senator) was able to convince Sherman not to burn Madison, and because of this the city is known to the locals and "the city too beautiful to burn."

I think we often forget all the beautiful places we can explore that are right next to us and focus on further destinations. Madison is a city I would encourage you to visit, especially if you enjoy u.s. history. I just got the June issue of Readers Digest and they recommend it as one of 40 places to visit. I would add more pictures but I can't figure out how to keep it from posting to the top! Remember I'm a NEWBEE! I'll have to get some expert advice...


No comments:

Post a Comment